Sunday 7 October 2012

Thankful

This weekend is Thanksgiving and so I am home for the weekend.  Even though I have Fridays off and we have Monday off this week coming, I didn't come home until Saturday because I wanted to make sure that the horse got the exercise he needed before I left.

I tried to take some new photos this week but my camera died in the middle!

I ended up not going to the barn on Friday because I picked up a friend from the airport, but I did get out on Saturday afternoon.  It was pretty busy at the barn, and there were people cleaning out the lounge.  Apparently, they cleaned out the old feed room, are planning on turning that into a tack room, and are going to turn the old tack room into a wash stall.  I have to say that I'm pretty excited for that and I hope that they get it done soon - or else at least before I have to leave in May.

Because my instructor was there planning to ride her horse in the outdoor arena, I decided to ride Walker in the indoor.  The footing outside was pretty wet, and I knew that he would be hyper since he didn't get turned out for a couple of days.  Brisk, autumn weather + puddles + another horse in the arena = bad Walker, so I'm glad that I rode inside.  I was a little disappointed because I had some big plans, but I think our outdoor riding days are drawing to an end anyway.  I tried to work on some simple lead changes in the indoor, but I was having a hard time getting him to lope a small enough circle to cut across the middle and have room to lope around another circle without hitting hay, the gator, the mounting block, etc.  He was also in a bit of a mood and was throwing some bucks (one of which hit the wall!).  It was no big deal but he was making me work for it and didn't seem too impressed that my instructor's horse got to go outside and he had to stay in with me.

Now that I'm home, I definitely miss his face.  Because it's Thanksgiving, I have a lot to think about in terms of what I'm thankful for.  I'm thankful for my friends and my family (especially my parents) for how supportive they've been with me and Walker, and because this blog is specifically about Walker, I am definitely thankful for him.  Walker has had a significant impact on my life and it has only been 6 months.  Because of him, I'm a better rider, and I'm a fitter, more active person.  He makes it easier for me to get off the couch and go see him when before I could barely convince myself to go to the barn because I was so lazy!  He teaches me how to be a better rider by making it clear that he won`t put up with just anything, but he is also very forgiving, following me around like a puppy dog after my ride even when we just barely got into an argument.  I am thoroughly a happier person because I have Walker, and he has officially made my dreams come true.

Walker always gets plenty of kisses

No comments:

Post a Comment