Thursday 23 May 2013

Walker's College Fund

In light of Walker's eighth birthday the other day, I thought I should tell everyone about the college fund I started for him.

Because I'm dirt poor (so poor, that I now start to identify with the girls from 2 Broke Girls - horse included, minus the rich father), I decided that I needed a better way to save money for all my Walker-related extravagances.  I have a savings account which I use for Walker, but I've noticed that it quickly becomes depleted.  I believe it's easier to have little to no respect for an online bank account than it is to have respect for actual cash.

So I started this: a BIG bowl of money where I throw in all the change I can scrounge up anywhere I can find it (my wallet, floors, donations, etc.).  Every few months, I intend to sit down, add it up, and then deposit it in the savings account with great plans for its use.

For instance, currently on the list is:
- an equine massage
- lessons!
- dare I say, maybe even a horse show...
- a pretty saddle pad I saw at the tack shop the other day

It's sadly exciting because there is much less temptation for me to use the money for other matters since I will have to sit down and roll it all before I can even use it.  Unfortunately, it's going to take a lot of dimes to get me a new saddle.

3 comments: